August 5, 2017 • Peninsula Park • 6:30 PM
700 N Rosa Parks Way
Includes outdoor basketball court, disabled access: park restroom, disabled access: picnic area, fountain, paved paths, reservable picnic site, picnic tables, playground, public garden, rose garden, soccer field, softball field, outdoor stage, statues or public art, outdoor tennis court, wading pool or water play feature and reservable wedding site.
Peninsula Park is a good example of a formally designed neighborhood park, typical of the early 1900s. It includes the city’s first public rose garden and first community center, an historically designated bandstand, and Portland’s second oldest playground. The park was purchased by the city in 1909 for the sum of $60,000 with funds raised in a 1908 bond measure. Originally owned by local businesswoman Liverpool Liz, it had been the site for a roadhouse and racetrack for quarter-mile horse racing. An autopark and campground were also included in the original parcel. Planned by renowned Oregon architects Ellis Lawrence and Ormond R. Bean, the park was a result of Portland’s 1912 “City Beautiful” movement. Completed in 1913, much remains of the original features, including the lantern-style streetlights, the stone pillars, vast brickwork, and the nearly 100-year-old fountain in the center of the rose garden.
-Portland Parks and Recreation